CAC Services Menu


Connect With Us
Connect with us on Facebook.
Connect with us on Twitter.

Older Individuals who are Blind (OIB)

What is the Older Individuals who are Blind Program – OIB?

OIB is a grant-funded program aimed at assisting Individuals, 55 years and older, with ANY type of vision loss. Our goal is to: assist our blind and visually impaired consumers maximize and adapt to residual vison; and to discover how to continue living a healthy, independent, and productive life with vision loss.

 OIB Services are FREE to the community

OIB consumers are given personal training with computers, phones, devices and much more.

What Services are provided to ILCKC’s OIB Consumers?

Assistive Technology/Adaptive Equipment:  We teach computer literacy, magnification and screen-reader programs, and adaptive equipment including cellphones, iPhones, video magnifiers that are available for demonstration.

Communication:  Instructions on how to use email, social media, keyboarding and more.

Daily Living Skills:  Training skills on budgeting, techniques for shopping and home management, and more.

Adjustment Counseling:  Support with coping skills and resources are highly encouraged.

Orientation and Mobility:  Instruction on mobility techniques used to maintain orientation in your environment.

Self-Advocacy:  Motivation for consumers to acquire self-advocacy skills is highly encouraged.

Transportation:  Instruction and information in the use of available modes of public transportation.

Low-Vision Training:  Training on use of remaining vision, sse of optical and non-optical devices.

The Older Individuals who are Blind (OIB) program provides services to visually impaired individuals, 55 years of age and older, to assist them to live as independently as they can in Kern County. The OIB program seeks to stimulate independent living, empowerment, and full inclusion of older individuals who are blind or visually impaired. Training and skill-building for professionals and consumers serving the aging, blind population is provided.

What can the S.L.V. Program do for you?

  • Learn about money management

  • Self advocacy training

  • Participate in support groups

  • Train peer-counselors

  • Services to senior center and facilities

  • Learn how to become integrated in senior programs

  • Trainings to participate in shopping, recreation and other activities

  • Assistance obtaining an ADA Transportation card/transportation vouchers

  • Obtain information, resources and referrals

  • Receive adjustment counseling and support

  • Receive computer and technology education/training

  • Learn primary Braille training Guidance to receive Assistive Technology, phone services, talking books and other equipment

  • Instruction to pay bills efficiently

  • Training utilizing appliance/household items safely

  • Become involved in local and state systems-change

  • One-to-One assistive technology training

  • Mobility and orientation instruction

  • Explore ways to make the most of ones remaining vision

Who may use S.L.V. Services?

CAC offers senior (55 and Older) throughout Riverside County including: (Banning; Beaumont; Calimesa; Corona; Eastvale; Jurupa Valley; Norco, and Riverside, Canyon Lake; Hemet; Lake Elsinore; Menifee; Moreno Valley; Murrieta; Perris; San Jacinto; Temecula; Wildomar; Blythe; Cathedral City; Coachella; Indian Wells; Indio; La Quinta; Palm Desert; Palm Springs; and Rancho Mirage; Desert Hot Springs and nearby rural and unincorporated areas within Riverside County), opportunities and information to empower and live more independently with limited or no vision.


Community Access Center Never Charges A Fee For Services Provided.

We Advocate for you!

Investigation of discrimination claims and mediation on behalf of people with disabilities in order to resolve conflicts that impede the attainment of needed benefits and services.


Consumer Rights Notification
Every consumer of the Community Access Center has the right to appeal any decision which denies you service. (NOTE: The appeal must follow certain guidelines and time limitations; ask your service provider for a copy of the procedure).If you desire representation in addressing your concerns/dissatisfaction with the Community Access Center (CAC), you have the right to contact the Client Assistance Program (CAP) for assistance. Contact the CAP at 1 (800) 776-5746, (and for the hearing impaired their TTY 1 (800) 576-9269), and you will be referred to a Client Assistance Program not connected with CAC. This will prevent any potential conflict of interest.